Tuesday, June 22, 2010


There has been so much rain this month. My transplanting days have been muddy and grungy and my boots and shoes smell like swamp. It has been the ideal weather for transplanting because I haven't had to water the plants at all.
I have never seen so much blue eyed grass as I have this year. This tiny flower is our only native Iris. It looks like grass until this beautiful 6 petalled start flower appears winking at you through the greenery.
The rain may also slow the progress of the highway development, potentially giving me another season to remove these plant communities from harm's way. It is going to be really hard to see it all go considering the time I spend there and all the life that will be removed.
It is now 8:15 am and I am getting ready to put in a garden in Riversdale. Because of the heat yesterday I didn't go out collecting until 6 pm and I was out until after sunset. The mosquitoes and blackflies didn't distract me too much until the sun was out of sight. Then it was unbearable and I had to pack up.

No comments:

Post a Comment